1. These rules (the "Rules") relate to the Big Dreamers Writing Competition (the "Competition". PLEASE READ THESE RULES CAREFULLY BEFORE ENTERING THE COMPETITION. YOU MUST HAVE YOUR PARENT'S OR GUARDIAN'S CONSENT TO ENTER IF YOU ARE UNDER 18.
2. Further information on the competition can be found on the website at (the "Website").
3. The Competition is run by Big Dreamers.
4. Each entrant, or (if an entrant is under 18) their parent or guardian, will be required to agree to these Rules before entering into the Competition, by way of a check-box on the submission form.
5. The Competition opens on Tuesday 8th October 2019. Please note that the deadline for the Competition is midnight on Friday 20th December 2019. Submissions cannot be accepted after this time.
6. Entry to the Competition is free.
7. The Competition is open to young people between the ages of 7 and 19 years of age as of the Competition closing date, who are resident in the UK excluding employees of Big Dreamers or Competition judges, (or members of their immediate families). All entrants must be either be a resident of Worcester, or attend an educational institution in Worcester. There are 4 age categories for entry: 7-9 years old, 10-12 years old, 13-15 years old, 16-19 years old. Big Dreamers reserves the right to ask for proof of age from entrants.
8. Entrants under 18 years of age must have permission to enter the Competition from a parent or guardian who will be required to agree to these Rules before entering into the Competition, by way of a tick-box on the submission form. Big Dreamers reserves the right to ask for proof of permission. Entries without permission will be disqualified.
9. Entries may be stories, poems or drama. Each entry must be the entrant's own original work. Entries can be typewritten or handwritten and must be no longer than 1 A4 piece of paper and in size 12 font (if typed). Entrants can only submit one entry.
10. It is not necessary to have good spelling or perfect grammar to enter the Competition. Entries will be judged on originality and creativity, rather than how they are executed. The decision of the Competition judges is final.
11. Entries can be sent by post or submitted via email to email@example.com. Please note that all entries, whether postal or online, must be accompanied by a completed entry form.
12. Entries may be made by individual entrants or by teachers on behalf of their pupils. Where multiple entries are made by a teacher entering pupils for different age categories, please specify each pupil’s age category.
13. Each piece of work entered into the Competition must be marked with the entrant's name and age.
14. All entries will be initially judged by a panel of Big Dreamers staff. A shortlist of 10 entries with be chosen from each age category. Finalists will then be chosen by Hipkiss & Graney. There will be 1 winner and 4 runners up from each age category.
15. All finalists will have their entries published in a Big Dreamers 2020 anthology (“Anthology”)
18. The runners up and winners selected by the judges will receive the following prizes:
a. All runners up will receive:
A copy of the Big Dreamers Writing Anthology
b. All winners will receive:
A copy of the Big Dreamers Writing Anthology
£20 WH Smith gift card
19. The school that submits the highest number of entries as decided by the Competition judges will receive a workshop for up to 30 pupils. This workshop can either be for Creative Writing, or Zine Making.
20. All prizes are non transferable. No cash alternative is available for any prize.
21. Big Dreamers reserves the right to cancel the Competition and to offer alternative prizes where strictly necessary and where an alternative solution cannot be found.
22. In consideration for Big Dreamers’s acceptance of an entry and by submitting an entry to the Competition:
a. Each entrant retains the copyright for their entry. However each entrant grants to Big Dreamers a perpetual, non-exclusive, royalty-free licence to publish, broadcast, communicate and make available the entry in all media and in all formats throughout the world, including but not limited to (i) publishing the entry in the Anthology, (ii) publishing the entry on the Website, and (iii) publishing the entry elsewhere online and on any other platforms (whether now known or yet to be envisaged). This licence will be deemed to include all the necessary rights and permissions to enable such use by Big Dreamers, to fulfill the prizes and to complete the administration of the Competition.
b. Each entrant agrees that Big Dreamers may at its sole discretion edit, adapt, abridge or translate the entry for the purpose listed in clause 22(a) above.
c. Each entrant, and (if an entrant is under 18) their parent or guardian, warrants that the entry is original and that nothing in the entry will infringe the copyright or any other intellectual property right of any third party or defame any third party.
24. Entrants to the Competition consent to the use by Big Dreamers of their name, age and town of residence to announce the winners of the Competition and to identify entrants in any publication of an entry in accordance with the Rules. Entrants also consent to the use of their personal information by Big Dreamers to contact Finalists and prize winners, to verify compliance with the Rules and for administration of the Competition. Finalists and Winners may be requested to take part in publicity for the Competition, but only if they wish to do so.
25. Any questions concerning the Rules or the Competition may be directed to
26. These Rules are governed by English law and the Courts of England and Wales have exclusive jurisdiction over any disputes arising out of the Rules.